A Great Dane grows from a 400g newborn to the size of a 12 year old child in the first 12 months of its’ life. This enormous growth must be supported by outstanding nutrition if its organs, brain and bones are going to grow to their fullest and healthiest potential.
So much rubbish exists on the market regarding commercial dog feeds. I cannot stress this strongly enough. There are NO commercial dog feeds that I would choose to feed my dogs.
The ongoing health of your dog is very dependant on what he or she eats. Food is medicine, for all of us.
I am an enormous advocate of feeding Danes a raw diet, and would dearly love our new puppy owners to continue in this vein. However I am very aware that this is a big ask for many people and not something that they are keen to do.
A healthy raw diet for a growing Dane pup consists of:
- raw meat, both lean and fatty
- organ and offal
- good quality oils such as coconut oil
- pro and pre biotics such as Apple Cider Vinegar
- fruit and vegetable matter such as kale and spinach, blueberries and apples
- fish such as sardines or perch
- fresh organic eggs
- occasional herbal supplements for specific needs
And absolutely always access to fresh, preferably filtered and remineralised cool water.
It most definitely does not consist of the left overs of what you ate for dinner or breakfast – that is for your worm farm or maybe your chooks.
It is important that you get the quantities and the balance of each of these components right. Please contact us so that we can assist you with a specific diet for your Dane at their stage of life.
A raw healthy diet like this enables your Dane to
- maintain a healthy weight
- fight infections and disease
- resist parasite infestation and attack
- resist bug attack
- control their own body odour
- produce a shiny gleaming naturally well oiled coat with appropriate shedding
- maintain healthy teeth and gums
- develop strong bones and muscles
- develop an intelligent brain
- maintain a balanced personality
- produce small firm well coloured stools
Raw fed Danes live well and longer than commercially fed Danes and they die at full speed sliding into their graves, not as aged, obese, blind, deaf old dogs.
That being said, I understand that not everyone wants to raw feed their dog, and although I do not believe that commercial dog food will produce the best results for your dog, I can say that they ONLY commercial brand of dog food that I could recommend and really only preferably in conjunction with some raw is from Healthy Every Day Pets. They offer human grade organic raw meat, offal and fruit and vegetables in a patty as well as a kibble that is full of great ingredients, no sugar and no grains.
Other considerations are how you feed your Dane.
Puppies should be fed twice a day until they are at least two years old. When they are a pup, a monthly fast morning or evening is recommended. After maturity, a weekly fast day is an important inclusion in their diet.
Dane bowls should be elevated to allow for ease of digestion.
Please do not feed from plastic bowls. Stainless steel or ceramic are best. They are easily cleaned and sterilised and unlike plastic do not leech any toxins into their food or water.